Wednesday 1 September 2010

A new (school) year

Hello blogland,

We were all doing so well during the summer - following each other, building things up.  I was learning from you and spending tons of time passing on your good bits of information to others.  And then it all came to an abrupt stop.  (or as Irigaray would say, it came to 'a pause'). Why?  Because my mother-in-law became deathly ill.  Everything stopped for 5 weeks.  She is doing better now, thank you - though she's still in ICU and each day is a struggle for her.  She's making good, but slow, progress and we are all learning lessons in patience after learning a big lesson about the fine line between life and death.

Sometime in the middle of that 5 weeks, my biological father died.  I haven't seen him since I was 12 and had long ago let go of those fantasies that come with absent fathers - of meeting up and having a great chat.    What I felt was sad for him.  Sad because he seemed so damned lonely.  Sad for me because I tend towards loneliness too.

It's the first of September and time to get on with a new school year.  I have proposals to write, a thesis to finish and three papers due in all before December.  All of it's interesting.  All of it's exactly what I want to do.  So, let's get on with it.

Post a Comment