Thursday 4 March 2010

Day 4 - Women's Month - grandmothers

It's 3pm and I haven't been able to come up with anything interesting for the 4th day of Women's Month. I haven't felt right. I woke up in a foul mood.

It is only now that I return to my desk to work on an article that I realise what's stopping me: my grandmother died 3 months ago today.  She was, and is, my favourite person in the world: feisty and gutsy, funny and knowledgeable; and for this kid who's home was rather topsy-turvey, she was a constant source of love and friendship.

So I think that today I hall celebrate my grandmother, Meredyth Appleton. In fact, I'd like to celebrate all those women who as grandmothers profoundly affect the lives of their grandchildren.  It's not a role we talk about very often.  I wish we did.

Post a Comment